Every year as damaging storms effect the Minnesota region, it happens like this: Waves of out of town, fly by night contractors come in; door knockers, hangers, yard signs, telephone calls! Who do you pick?! Well we hope you choose Crosstown Construction to take care of your needs. Here are some tips for hiring a roofing contractor.
- Hire a local contractor in your state or region. This will help ensure the company is able to respond effectively to any future needs regarding the installation.
- Make sure they are licensed and insured.
- Are they reputable? Do a quick search for reviews or feedback. If you can’t find any, that could be a red flag.
- Ask for a copy of their certificate of insurance that should cover general liability and worker’s compensation. If they cannot provide it, they may not have it and you could be liable if someone is injured while fixing your roof.
- Stay calm and think through your decision. Traveling contractor’s often may use fear and anxiety to their advantage, and this is when mistakes can be made in the contracting process leaving you with less than you thought you were receiving.
- If it is a repair get a Not-To-Exceed price before they start. If you can get a firm estimate or quote before, even better! You want a written price, so you have no surprises following the completion of the work.
- Payment Plan In Writing! Many contractors require a 50% down payment and 50% when the job is complete. Do not stray away from the payment plan! Hold them accountable before paying!
- Do they guarantee their work? Read your warranty. Ensure the warranty is protective and actionable.